We’ve been playing around with some scans in AR here in the office recently. Check out the video below – it shows our testing of an Android AR app using a model of The Scottish Kelpies. It was captured using the LASiris VR, which has been converted from a point cloud and contains over 4 million points.
We would love any Android users out there to give it a go and let us know what you think. Below the video we’ve provided everything you need.
How to test our app
Step 2: Print out our NCTech logo
- This logo will act as the target to trigger the augmented reality experience
- You can print in any size, black and white or colour.
Step 3: Give it a go
- Lay your target image on a flat surface in a well-lit area and launch the app.
- Once it has loaded, point the android device’s camera at the target image, ensuring that the full logo can be seen on the screen of the device. Once the app recognises the target, the AR experience will begin. (just like in the video above)
- Move your device around the target image to gain a full 360 view around the Kelpies. You can also move the device closer to the target to see the Kelpies up close – notice how they are made up of individual points. There are over 4 million of these points.
- Alternatively, the target image can be picked up and held. You can move the image target around to view the Kelpies from multiple angles.